WHAT YOU'LL DO
We are seeking a motivated and highly skilled candidate with a "start-up" mentality to join a fast-moving team of engineers that augments traditional consulting engagements with software. As a Data Engineer on our Chicago-based GAMMA Retail Catalyst team, you will be supporting the product and platform, a cloud-based analytics hub & suite of analytical apps for Retailers, by coming up with better ways to wrangle, structure, and process massive amounts of data.
The ideal candidate has 2-3 years of ETL experience (SQL is a must) with heavy focus on building scalable and repeatable data pipelines. This person will bring a deep understanding of Spark cluster configuration, cloud platforms (GCP and Azure), databases, knowledge of and hands-on experience with visualized ETL (e.g., Alteryx; Dataiku); Python and Retail industry (data) experience is a big plus.
YOU'RE GOOD AT
- ETL and wrangling huge data sets
- SQL and Spark-based data querying
- Database management and data architecture
- Building fast, scalable, and clean data pipelines which can be re-used over and over
- Being a self-learner and highly proactive / ambitious in your work
- Constantly connecting the dots - technical and business context + anticipating issues before they arise
- Working in a small start-up like team and don't mind working across disciplines (e.g., digging into the frontend apps to troubleshoot data issues)
- Thriving in a complex, multi-cloud, multi-tenant environment
- Utilizing an 80/20 mind-set of value vs. time to deliver
- Thoroughly testing schemas and code; proactively identifying bugs and issues
YOU BRING (EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS)
- Degree in computer science or related field
- 2-3 years ETL / Data Engineering experience
- Deep expertise in SQL
- Deep expertise in relational databases (ideally Postgres)
- Experience with visualized ETL (e.g., Alteryx or Dataiku)
- Strong Linux / UNIX skills
- Experience in setting up and optimizing Hadoop/Spark cluster configuration
- Experience with Kubernetes & Docker
- Experience working in collaborative, fast-moving environments
- Experience in cloud technology (Google Cloud / Microsoft Azure) - storage, compute, IAM
- Good knowledge of security and networking protocols
- Self-driven, entrepreneurial, and strong team player
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with Python/PySpark
- Experience with MPP platforms like Snowflake and BigQuery
- Experience with orchestration tools like Airflow, Luigi, etc.
- Good understanding on visualization tools like Tableau and PowerBI
- Experience with version control, CI/CD, etc.
- Experience in Retail industry / Retail data
YOU'LL WORK WITH
Our data analytics and artifical intelligence professionals mix deep domain expertise with advanced analytical methods and techniques to develop innovative solutions that help our clients tackle their most pressing issues. We design algorithms and build complex models out of large amounts of data.
The Boston Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable, and those with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws.